Introduction, Credentials, and Intent

Introduction
My name is Brandon Cole. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I was born in Utah, grew up (among many other places) mainly in Indiana and Tennessee, and am currently back in Utah. I grew up in an active Latter-day Saint household and am grateful for the upbringing that was provided me. I have been happily-married to the love of my life since 2012. I attended Dixie State University from 2012 to 2015; after a hiatus, I have returned to Dixie State and am currently a part-time student. My current major is Spanish Language and Literature; I am planning on getting my Associate's degree in Spanish and then will hopefully transfer to Southern Utah University to get a Bachelor's degree in Aviation Science.

Credentials - The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
I am not an authority on Church doctrine. For that reason, I will refer to the Church's scriptural canon when referring to official doctrine and to any of the Church's handbooks or News Room when referring to any official policies. I may also use unofficial works such as Encyclopedia of Mormonism or historical journals to explain cultural issues, historical events, etc. That stated, here are some of my personal experiences in regard to my membership:

Throughout my teenage years, I served in various leadership roles, including secretary, 2nd counselor, 1st counselor, and president in the Deacons', Teachers', and Priests' Quorums (was never president of Priests' Quorum, as this role is always filled by the Bishop of the ward). I served as a volunteer full-time missionary in the Mexico, Mexico City North mission from 09 June, 2010 through 14 June, 2012. I have served as a travelling ward speaker, Primary teacher, Sunday School teacher, Missionary Preparation teacher, and home-teacher/minister since that time.

I was ordained an Elder of the Melchizedek Priesthood on 13 February, 2010; I received the temple endowment on the same day in the Mount Timpanogos Temple in American Fork, Utah. My Priesthood line of authority may be found here. A complete list of the ordinances which I have received and the callings which I have held and the may be found here.

Credentials - Freemasonry and Appendant/Concordant Bodies
I am also not an authority on Masonry. For that reason, I will refer to grand lodge monitorial ritual (published/not ciphered), grand lodge code (published), lodge by-laws (published), lodge and grand lodge websites (available to public) when referring to the nature, character, or purposes of Freemasonry. Given that I am a Utah Mason, I will mainly rely on the materials published by the Grand Lodge of Free & Accepted Masons of Utah; I may also use websites operated by other grand lodges recognized by the Grand Lodge of Utah. I may use such opinion-pieces as Encyclopædia of Freemasonry and sourced articles in order to explain terms and processes common to most grand lodge jurisdictions as well as recorded history/culture.*

A list of the degrees which I have received and the offices which I have held (both in Freemasonry and in appendant/concordant bodies) may be found here.

Intent
In this blog, I hope to illustrate my experiences both as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and as a Freemason. I will not be delving into what is sacred for the Church (i.e. temple endowment details) nor what I am obligated as a Mason not to share with non-Masons. I will still attempt to explain the nature of the ceremonies of each without violating obligations or what's sacred.

It is also my intent to debunk the gossip and rumor floating around among Freemasons in regard to the Church, among Church members in regard to Freemasonry, and among any third party in regard to either institution.

As time goes on, I'll also be happy to share how my participation in one camp affects my participation in the other, how each affects my personal life, and so on.

The opinions expressed on this blog are my own unless specifically cited otherwise.

                                                                                     
[*] Given that Freemasonry is wholly decentralized and that each grand lodge is therefore sovereign, it should be noted that ritual and policies vary from grand lodge jurisdiction to grand lodge jurisdiction.

Comments

  1. My brother, I happened upon your blog after reading your article, "7 Ritual Memorization Tips For Freemasons" on MasonicFind.com. I am also a Latter-day Saint and a Freemason. I was initiatied in August of 2021, passed in February of 2022, and raised in September of 2022, all in Washington Lodge #20, Sacramento, California. Currently, I am serving as my lodge Junior Deacon (so I am working on the memorization to which you alluded for my work next year). I appreciate your thoughts on life as both a Freemason and a member of the Church. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Masonic Degrees/Orders Received and Offices Held

My Response to Redditor u/Accurate1nvestigator (Formerly u/RibeyeSteakPresident and u/USAF_Veteran)